24 November 2010

Friday 15 October 2010

Picton Castle at anchor, Bwatnapne Bay, Pentecost, Vanuatu; Friday 15 October 2010 בס"ד


Woke up at 0715 and after breakfast and muster, did domestics. I noticed the latch on the chain locker hatch had broken off, and so I told WT, who told me where to get a new latch and to install it, which I did. After that, up and loose all sail, then heaved on the windlass to weigh anchor. It turns out we'll be carrying a passenger from Banam Bay with us until we return to Luganville, a man named Dixon who is kind of a Vanuatu VIP. Anyway, we set all sail and made our way towards Pentecost. After I was stood down from watch and 8-12 took the deck, I laid in with sanding the new Monomoy mast. Before lunch, we took in all sail because we were passing in the lee of the volcanic island of Ambrym. After lunch when 12-4 took the deck, I continued sanding the mast from 1200 to 1500. I stood fourth helm steering NxE 1/2E and then NE. I was relieved midway to stow sail. I returned to the helm and was now steering by terrestrial piloting and Captain's orders. I took us into Bwatnapne Bay and we dropped the port hook. Once relieved from helm, 12-4 took the first anchor watch, and I was instructed to wirebrush and corroseal the 2-shot marker on the port anchor chain, which I did. Once the other watches had gone ashore for the welcome ceremony, most of our watch did our workout routine on the quarterdeck. I discovered that when doing leg-lifts on the quarterdeck I make awesome backfart noises. Because I'm mature like that. Yeah. Hung up the anchor light at dusk, and we had dinner and celebrated Josh's birthday. Cleaned the galley and immediately stood 1900 anchor watch. As we mustered a mystery cargo ship came close and seemed to heave to about two shiplengths away. I kept my eye on it with Rebecca, and it unloaded cargo onto small boats that went back and forth to shore, much like we would do. Rebecca and I had a good talk about cargo ships and her experience in Kwai. Got a radio call from the Mate requesting a 2000 skiff run. After my watch, took a shower, read, and went to bed.


No comments:

Post a Comment