24 November 2010

Wednesday 13 October 2010

Picton Castle at anchor at Banam Bay, Malakula, Vanuatu; Wednesday 13 October 2010 בס"ד


Woke up at 0800 and got ready for the 0900 skiff ashore. We loaded the skiff full of goods and people, then went to the spot where I guess they had gone last night. However, it was discovered after unloading the skiff that we'd have to carry the stuff a long way OR we could just take the skiff over to a closer location with a local piloting. We reloaded the skiff and then Dapper and I and some others walked to the village while the skiff went around the bay. We forgot to reload a bag of frozen fish, though, so I carried that. As we walked, we instantly got guided by local children, who were not well-versed in English but were trying their hardest to communicate with us as we went along. We dropped off stuff at the Community Center, and met up with the skiff people who were watching the locals skin a pig with a machete. A group of us then went on a nature hike with a local guy named Jake, who had actually sailed with Picton Castle before. On the hike, we followed a path that led to the top of a mountain and saw a cacao plant, a huge banyan tree, and other stuff. I was stung on the foot by a mystery black bug, and I really hoped I wouldn't die, not that it hurt much, but just because who knows if it's toxic or not? Anyway, I didn't die. Dapper and I walked back to the village so that Jake could help guide the others and we kind of just made our way through the paths and found the dirt road. Overall the hike was about two hours. Once back at the village, we hung out in front of the community center for a bit as it drizzled rain. For lunch, the villagers prepared a feast and a string band came and played songs. After the feast, we went into the community center and started to prepare for trading. At first, everybody was just waiting for instructions, but after a bit I just set up my own little booth. I traded suntan lotions, floss, deodorants, and other things for this fair, and in return I got large shells, boars' tusks, and even some fresh produce. The chief's son-in-law was quite funny since he had a megaphone and insisted on only speaking with it. It was like his baby and he'd just walk around talking in the megaphone. After the fair, I played with kids drawing faces in the sand with a stick. Then a kava drinking event was set up at the kava station(?) and for 100vt you got a “high tide” or big bowl, and for 50vt, you got a “low tide.” I enjoyed four high tides in rapid succession, since I actually like the taste of kava. In Fiji I drank way more than that and the only effect was drowsiness, and since this tasted pretty comparable, I didn't think that the Captain was being accurate when he said Fiji kava was like Coca-Cola and Vanuatu kava was like pure cocaine in comparison. So after the kava I walked back with everybody to the skiff landing to wait for our ride back to the ship. While sitting there, things started getting pretty wacky. I started seeing triple, which was pretty nuts, and I had difficulty walking or even standing upright. My mind was functional, but my body just wasn't responding. I made my way with difficulty to behind a tree and had a quick vomit, but I felt just fine. Anyway, my friends helped me get in the skiff and back aboard the ship, where I ate a very little of dinner and then passed out (in the recovery position, of course).


No comments:

Post a Comment