04 February 2011

Friday 24 December 2010

Picton Castle at sea; Friday 24 December 2010 בס"ד

Woke up at 0715, wrote my log a bit, found out that [person] had fallen in the night off the focslehead ladder and broken their arm, then had breakfast. I was unsure if WT and I were going to finish up any small jobs, but the answer was no. Finished my log, then got a haircut from Shawn the barber. Wrote nice notes in the cards I made for my “role models.” Then read some Sea of Glory before taking a nap. Woke up at 1145 and was told the Mate wished to see me upon the quarterdeck. I went, and he told me to put a coat of Penetrol on three newly replaced deckboards, which I did. Had lunch,then made an ornament for the “tropical ikmus tree.” Put a second coat of penetrol on at 1400. At 1600, Katelinn performed a “candlelight concert” (although there were no candles), playi8ng a few Bach pieces on the violin as per a family tradition of hers. Played cards with Jan til dinner, then while everybody was eating did I deliver my holiday cards. At sundown, the Captain explained the nice history of the PC's xmas tree and then it was lit along with other colorful lights. Pies were served, and in an odd but funny gesture, I saw that one pie said “FRED” and had a magen David on it. It was a nice Xmas eve, and everyone was merry, although it was still an odd time for me to be Jewish amongst goyim. Since it is such an important festival for them, many of them are often unsure why anyone wouldn't celebrate it, and then when I try to explain, it often happens that they feel some sort of pity for me, and try to make me feel more included (like the pie gesture), which brings a strange attention to me that I'm not a huge fan of. I think I heard the word “Jewish” more than “Christmas” today. Of course, the notion that Hanukkah is a Jewish Xmas has people wishing me a happy one, even though it passed by unnoticed three weeks ago, not that I minded. Some of my friends feel bad that they “missed it,” as they say, but don't understand that I wouldn't expect them to know the dates of any of the Jewish chagim or yomim tovim, let alone Hanukkah. Despite the fact that I've explained more than once how Shabbat is the most important day in Judaism, excepting Yom Kippur, and more than anything embodies the core of Jewish faith, practice, tradition, and culture, all the people who felt bad about missing Hanukkah didn't realize that the Xmas tree was lit at the commencement of Erev Shabbat. But anyway, it doesn't matter much to me, I'm not religious. I just had to rant like I do every Xmas time. I've asked to get a 2330 wakeup so I can stand watch with the 12-4. I already played my religious holiday card with Yom Kippur, and I won't take off for a holiday that isn't mine, regardless of how religious or not religious I'm told it is. That said, it is Shabbat, and since I'm not religious, I'll stand watch. Shabbat Shalom.

No comments:

Post a Comment