12 June 2010

Saturday 5 June 2010

Picton Castle at sea; Saturday 5 June 2010 בס"ד

Woke up for morning watch extra-tired and I don't know why. I had tried sleeping on the hatch, but after an hour or so some spray hit me and woke me up, so I returned to my rack. Shawn told me I was very difficult to wake, and I felt disoriented a bit. I drank two coffees (usually I just have one) and helped clean the galley before standing third lookout, where I saw nothing. Rebecca says we're about 30-40nm off the coast, and about 300nm or so from Colón. Today at 1900 we're meeting together to work on stuff for the 512th annual Caribbean seamanship derby, which will probably take place tomorrow. Alex told me Logan had a magazine, and so I asked him and he loaned it to me. I think last night at 2000 I saw the Southern Cross for hte first time, but it's not out during our watch.

I woke up on my own at 1030 feeling quite lively, although soaked from head to toe in my own sweat. I spent all of day watch inventorying thimbles, rings, and other hardware taken out of the sole until my turn at helm for the final hour. I was steering WSW, and it wasn't difficult except we would occasionally surf down a huge swell (the seas are coming from astern) and ride it down and momentarily veer a point or so off course. While on helm, I saw a ship one point forward of the port beam and reported it to Rebecca twenty minutes before our forward lookout did. After watch, power shower, and got Jo to draw another rose based on one from the magazine. We had a 1900 muster for the 12-4s to wok on the derby stuff. Afterwards, I was hanging out amidships and we feathered out the yards, which I laid in for. Just read some more. Oh, also I reorganized my sea chest.

No comments:

Post a Comment