30 June 2010

Sunday 20 June 2010

Picton Castle at sea; Sunday 20 June 2010 בס"ד

Yesterday's summary... Morning watch had me pretty much chilling out until sunrise, when I got down to holystoning. I taught those who'd not yet done it how to do it, not that it's hard to explain, being that you just rub sand across the deck with canvas-wrapped blocks to sand it down. It's a great tricep workout, and appparently good for surfing training because it's similar to how you'd paddle out to the break. After that I stood fourth helm steering first SxW, and then SwxS. Stayed up after watch doing this and that, including several games of chess against my computer (only one of which I won). I then participated in the bad beard contest with Dave and Liam, not that it was a true contest but merely a way to go crazy with designing our beards before we anticipate they'll be shaved off at our upcoming shellback ceremony. I shaved “FR” into my right check, and “ED” into my left, although it kind of just looked like I messed up trimming.

For afternoon watch I was first lookout, but we had a workshop at 1630 from the captain on how to do a long splice, which is not hard, but might take another go or two to perfect. It was Donald's birthday, so he got the day off (because we love our cook) and galley crew did Sunday work and made an excellent line up of pizzas, cake, and Donald gave all who wished a beer from his personal stash. So, pizza and beer it was! I helped clean galley, had a coffee grind dance party, and ended the night with a glass of wine with Spratt and Jo, who were treated for excellent galley duty.


Today I got my 0615 wakeup because it was my turn to do Sunday galley. Adrienne and Julie were with me, although Julie got the 0800 wakeup because she's 12-4. Adrienne and I made awesome berry pancakes and with help from Nadja, pretty much rocked the breakfast. The 0800 breakfast was delayed about 45 minutes though because at the turn of the watch we ceased to steam and set all sails. Julie and Adrienne pretty much ran the galley end of things for lunch and dinner, while I ran the scullery side and did hold runs for ingredients. For lunch we had chili and spaghetti, and for dinner we had shepherds' pie and chocolate chip cookies, which was a big hit. Between meals, I managed to get four great videos of A) a red-footed booby named Juan Pedro on the taffrail, B) me in the headrig showcasing us under full sail, C) me aloft with Dave at the fore tgallant, and D) a pod of pilot whales that visited us alongside. Cleanup was easy and all went well. A mini-party in the forepeak after and a swig of rum (my first underway). I should note that I am a polliwog and we're nearing the equator. We're pretty sure we're going to bathe in slops and possibly have our heads shaved, but who knows what the veteran shellbacks will do to us in the centuries old tradition of equator crossing?

No comments:

Post a Comment