12 June 2010

Tuesday 8 June 2010 (PANAMA CANAL)

Picton Castle at anchor at Colón, Panama; Tuesday 8 June 2010 בס"ד

Yesterday day at 1115 I got my wake up for day watch and came out to see the Panamanian coast off port. I stood first lookout, and reported several small sailing vessels, a container ship, rocks, and a floating tree. Afterwards, I laid in to some painting jobs, but soon it began to downpour and we had all-hands called to get ready to drop anchor. I almost won six cases of beer from the betting pool that Shawn organized a few days back to do a 6-pack buy-in for the exact time we drop anchor, Price is Right rules. I missed it by twenty minutes! We received some new trainees who were unable to leave from Canada also. 12-4 had first anchor watch and I stood my night shift at 2200. The plan is to work all day tomorrow getting the boats inboard and rigging inboard and the yards cockbilled, as we can't have things protruding from the hull. Nothing of note happend on my shift; just listened to Spanish/English chatter on the radio. Slept on the hatch.

Had all-hands wake up at 0715 and we worked hard all day. Hoisted the monomoy on to the galley house, and other than a loosing, flashing, and stowing off the sails, I spent most of the day painting bulwarks and bulkheads. We found out we're probably bumped back another day for our transit, so we ended work and did skiff runs to a nearby yacht club (although we weren't cleared into Panama so we were not able to leave the confines of the club). Did some internet and beer and now I'm back. Tomorrow we have all hands at 0530 to relocate to another anchor zone, finish work, get inspected, and prepare for an 0300 transit start Thursday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment