12 June 2010

Wednesday 9 June 2010

Picton Castle at anchor at the mouth of the Panama Canal; Wednesday 9 June 2010 בס"ד

Woke up at 0530 to weigh anchor at 0600. Had a good morning workout pumping on the windlass and we shifted our anchorage to a location closer to the canal for smaller ships. Once there, we got the order to loose all sails to dry, and I scrambled up to the main royal and loosed it myself. THe crew of a ship nearby was watching in awe from their superstructure, and even though they're quite likely much saltier than me, it felt really cool to be admired by sailors. We broke into ship work afterwards. I spent a good deal of time on the martingale stays removing tar from the dolphin striker and then once the bulk of it was off, I spot painted it. Since it was mostly spotty, I practically repainted the whole thing. While I was doing this, the mates and Logan were working on positioning the port bower anchor under the headrig so that is is inboard of the beam, since usually it is catted outboard because of its size and shape. We then got the order to weigh anchor yet again, and I went into the chain locker with Bard to flake out the anchor chain, which was caked in Grade A Panama sludge. The ship then moved to a new anchorage closer to the canal. After lunch, we hoisted the rescue skiff onto the hatch, cockbilled the yards, and stowed sails. I had a part in all of these, and other than occasionally not knowing where something lives, I'm starting to feel generally useful and not standing around like a clueless idiot when I receive orders. Took a nap on what little hatch is still exposd, and after dinnerwe had a few people for a movie night in the skiff. We watched "Around Cape Horn," a classic that I've now seen several times about a voyage on the Peking in 1929. It's 2000, and it's all-hands quiet since we're waking up at 0345 for 0400 muster.

No comments:

Post a Comment