30 September 2010

Friday 17 September 2010

Picton Castle at sea; Friday 17 September 2010 בס"ד

First hour of morning watch I helmed steering SW xS1/2S. All sails were set except the gaff topsl, fore royal, and flying jib. Once I filled the log, I went to clean the galley and teach Megan how to polish the stove. However, half way through, we came out to the well deck to go over sail-handling with everybody, which is becoming a routine since I think a lot of people from the first leg were still weak on it (sometimes myself included), so they're amping up the teaching efforts. I have been studying more in my free time, and am actually quite confident now in all of my setting and taking in, and I think it shows. Anyway, we actually did some sail-handling when we feathered the yards, and I eased the lee braces. I also helped Nadja rig up a preventer line on the spanker boom (our normal line is MIA). Finished in the galley and started making coffee with Jan when a squally bit was coming close so I stood by while Jan finished the coffee. It missed us, and then I cleaned the mugs in the scullery. We got an assignment for tomorrow night to learn a knot or star to teach the others, but I won't be on watch because I got permission from Rebecca to take off for Yom Kippur the other week.



No comments:

Post a Comment