30 September 2010

Sunday 12 September 2010

Picton Castle at sea; Sunday 12 September 2010 בס"ד

Woke up a minute late for muster, but no problem. First hour, didn't do much except take in the spanker and I had to go aloft to overhaul a braille that got caught in the sail. At 0130, starting making dough for bread we'll cook for breakfast, and did that for a while since I don't know much about dough-making. Finished that, wirebrushed and polished the stove, then went to do final lookout. I reported a squall broad off the starboard bow, which passed ahead of us. We took in the foresl, which I eased from the capstan (not a huge deal, but it was actually the first time I'd ever done that). Then we took in the outer jib and I got the downhaul, then I went into the headrig to pull the sail into the netting. I knew we were nearing Pukapuka but I still couldn't sight it. Then I stowed the fore tgallant with Sophie and Nadja. When I came back down to the lookout, I stared intently ahead of us for a while, scanning the gray horizon, when at about 0350, I saw Pukapuka and reported it. Now bed, and I have to wake up at 0745 for galley, if not earlier for all hands general quarters.



No comments:

Post a Comment