30 September 2010

Thursday 2 September 2010 (Part 2) (PALMERSTON)

Palmerston Island, Cook Islands; Thursday 2 September 2010 (Part 2) בס"ד

Woke up at 0745 for galley duty. Palmerston atoll was already visible and you could see the islands. Cleaned up breakfast and while everybody was unloading cargo, I constantly washed cups (hot day = lots of hydration), and helped Tammy and Shawn make coleslaw salad. We thought 12-4 would have the watch, but 4-8 ended up getting it, so I packed up my gifts and some things, then helped hoist Sea Never Dry off the galley house, then went ashore in one of the Palmerston boats. Made our way through the crazy reef, came to shore, and we all sat down while Melbourne Marsters read off the host family assignments. I, along with Liam, Nadja, and Paulina, went with Simon to his family's house. Paul and Sue are the heads of household, and we were greeted and shown around. We planned for 1830 dinner, so we went to the beach, and I literally passed out like a dead man on the sand while Liam and Paulina went snorkeling nearby. Liam told me after that he saw a ton of marine life, including white tip reef sharks that were checking him out. Woke up, saw the Monomoy sail around, and went to play volleyball with the locals. Had a lot of fun doing that for a while, and after went back for a delicious tuna and wahoo dinner. After dinner, everybody met up at the blue house for some drinks and local sing-sing, which was nice. Liam, Dapper, Robert, and I were playing around with the fist-sized hermit crabs that would crawl along. Now came back, and although there are a few tiny ants crawling on my mattress and I just killed a little cucarachita on my foot, I'm expecting a good, restful sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment