30 September 2010

Thursday 16 September 2010

Picton Castle at sea; Thursday 16 September 2010 בס"ד

Got a weird wakeup and went looking for coconuts in my bunk before I realized where I was and what was going on. I woke up crammed into the sealing, meaning we were now sailing on a port tack. First hour of morning watch, we adjusted the braces to reduce chafe since it was quite rolly. Second hour I did 100 pushups with Rebecca. Stood third helm, steering SxW and then Due South. Final hour I made coffee and hot water with Dapper.

First hour of afternoon watch I was standing lookout with nothing to report. Rebecca came to the focslehead and when I asked what was up she said she was contemplating a bigger foresl. Second hour I wirebrushed and oiled ratchets, then third hour I went with Leonard to nip all the bunts. Fourth hour Leonard and I wirebrushed and corrosealed part of the windlass. After watch, Dapper and I got some coconuts emptied into a jar, in preparation for an experiment in making coconut hooch. Finished reading “From Kauri Trees to Sunlit Seas,” then after dinner played chess with WT (he won). Then added sugar and yeast to our coconut juice and poke a pinhole in the lid to relieve pressure before hanging it up in a quick-rigged gimble in the port forward corner of the forepeak to ferment. Hopefully we don't die or go blind. Just reviewd the manual, now bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment