30 September 2010

Friday 3 September 2010

Palmerston Island, Cook Islands; Friday 3 September 2010 בס"ד

I woke from my excellent sleep at around 0900, had some quick breakfast with Paul and Sue, and went off for a walk. I ended up walking around the island, and passing out on the beach again a few times along the way. Megan was like, “Fred, don't waste the day laying down sleeping,” and I realized that that was always my mentality at every port, and I'd waste no minute, but now we were on a teeny tiny island with lots of free time to actually relax, and that was quite nice. I circumnavigated the shore of the island on foot, checked out the school, met a yachtie family from one boat anchored here, and went back for lunch. Met up with David Brown, walked around, and the Captain showed us an old sail/row boat that they used to use here that has a very flat hull for the coral but was deep-V towards the bow and stern for sailing (I guess) and I thought it was cool. Hung out at a little table area listening to some sing-sing, then passed out on the beach yet again. I actually got a little bit red, which doesn't often happen, but hours asleep in the sun will do that I guess (although just hours later writing this I'm back to my olive tan). Walked around more, met some on on the beach and wrestled Shawn. Went to the volleyball court, played with the kids and the yachties and some of us before the pros came and destroyed. Messed around with some of the kids, and learned from the Pukapuka guy how to open a coconut using my pocket rig. Came back for dinner, then went to a guy's night out at Joseph's, where we had beers and played pool. Just got back now, used the outhouse (which was crazy because there were hundreds of cucarachas crawling around and I had to scare them all off before going), sat and chatted with Paul about potential fishing plans, and now bed.


No comments:

Post a Comment