26 May 2010

Friday 14 May 2010

Picton Castle at Sea in Gulf Stream; Friday 14 May 2010 בס"ד

Night watch was fairly uneventful. I didn't stand lookout but I stood double helm with Georgie since steering under sail is trickier than steering under power (and if you fuck up the wind takes you aback). At the end of watch I did a ship check and we did some bracing at the turn of the watch.

Today I actually woke up for breakfast, which was french toast! (a new item). I ate, tried to read for about fifteen minutes, then went back to bed until lunch. On the day watch I tarred some headrig lashings, then stood a double helm with Yo. It was much easier this time, though we adjusted course to catch the winds and our watch took in the foresl and spanker. I am getting better at keeping track of turns in the wheel for weather helm, and Yo explained to me the way to box the compass by quarter points, which is easier than it originally seemed. I resumed work on the tarring, then cut off and redid some sailmakers' whippings on the starboard headsl sheets where the line is spliced to a thimble. After watch I did my workout routine, then read up on splicing. During this time we up and stowed all sails except lower topsls, probably for the oncoming gale. We switched to engine before dinner. After dinner I took a shower and in that short time the weather turned very foggy and dreary. I imagine when I wake for night watch it will be quite miserable out, but we'll see I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment