04 May 2010

Monday 3 May 2010

Picton Castle at Lunenburg; Monday 3 May 2010

My birthday started out very nicely. When I walked out on deck this morning to the beautiful weather, the batcave girls presented me with a gift bag which had a card, a "birthday prince" crown, and a pair of cheap pink fuzzy handcuffs. I was very flattered since I was not expecting anything more than a pint at the Banker later on. Morning work consisted of wiping exterior bulkheads with Via using a chemical solution known as TSP. I don't know what that stands for, but we called it "THE SUPER PRODUCT," since it was much more powerful than the Green Knight solution. We prepped the surfaces for painting, and even though it took quite a bit of elbow grease, I enjoyed it a lot and Sophie was surprised by this. After lunch, the starboard dwellers went to the Bridgewater Days Inn via taxi vans to utilize their swimming pool for immersion suit and life raft training (the local pool was still out of commission). It was awesome and I kind of had a pool party. Wearing an immersion suit is like being in Yam HaMelach (Dead Sea) and it's hard to do anything but float. When we returned I did a deck sweep and then we learned a bit about Abandon Ship procedures and were told our station bills and raft assignments. I would assist lowering the boats and my life raft is #2 (port foward). Tomorrow will be mostly several runs of hte drills, so we'll get them all down pat. After dinner, I and a crowd of about 20 went for a birthday bowling party. However, I was surprised to find the alley didn't have bowling as I know it. The variety I played is known as "Candlepin Bowling." The balls are a tad bit bigger than skeeballs and the pins are narrow cylinders. It was different but a lot of fun nonetheless. I just came back to PCand drank some rum with Dan and Dave and now going to bed. The verdict: AWESOME BIRTHDAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment