09 May 2010

Wednesday 5 May 2010

Picton Castle at Lunenburg; Wednesday 5 May 2010 בס"ד

The weather this morning started out cold, foggy, and wet. We did a quick deckwash and stood by for the inspectors. One is the official inspector from the Cook Islands; a guy who also works for Lloyd's. The other is from Transport Canada and does the survey at our special request as a courtesy. They walked around the ship with the Captain and Mate at first, then we did a MOB and then a fire in the paint locker drill. After these we did an Abandon Ship drill, and at the following muster, the inspectors said we did quite well for new trainees and wished us well. We were planning to go to the actual PC wharf, but construction complications prevented us from leaving the Adams & Knickle wharf. The watch system was established today. My watch is the 12-4, which at sea is on duty every midnight to 0400 and every noon to 1600. In port, watches take turns standing duty for 24 hour periods. Before learning our watches, we did sail handling exercises and I went aloft to up and stow at one point. Once the watches were finalized and we knew weren't going to move the ship, we split up and some people started getting stuff from the warehouse to the ship while my watch did a lot of work in the sole (the storage crawl space under the salon) organizing things. After dinner I began to hem my super-long foul weather jacket because it was pretty much a trenchcoat and that's no good aloft. Now I'm waiting for Georgie to get me so I can stand watch from 2300 to midnight...

... Just stood my first night watch with Meredith and Niko. Normally we'd do this alone, but Meredith had to teach us how to do a ship check. Niko has sailed PC before, so it was pretty much Meredith telling me what to do and me doing it. It reminded me a lot of the opening scene of the Master & Commander movie where the man with the lantern silently moves about the ship. Anyway, I did a ship check and wrote my report in the ship's log. Just got relieved by the 0000-0100 group. This is WAY past my bedtime.

No comments:

Post a Comment