26 May 2010

Tuesday 25 May 2010 (ANGUILLA)

Picton Castle at anchor in Sandy Ground, Anguilla; Tuesday 25 May 2010 בס"ד

Yesterday's wakeup came a bit earlier than normal as the ship came into a harbor called Sandy Ground on teh island of Anguilla. After a bit of sail-handling and dropping anchor, the Captain and Maggie took a skiff ride in to the customs department to clear us while we up and stowed. I must say I feel quite salty after these two weeks out and I scrambled up to the fore upper topsl yard no problem and easily lowered myself to the lower topsl yard, which had daunted me in Lunenburg. The 8-12s had first anchor watch, so they remained on board as we rode the skiff to the beach. I pretty much spent hte whole day relaxing on the beach and enjoying rum punch cocktails and Carib beers, though in the evening I tried to use the Broken ATM Hotel's (we didn't know its name) wifi service but it wasn't cooperating with me. I came back on the 2100 skiff run (we're now on Anguilla time which is the same as PA when I left). I set up my hammock on the foclsehead, but relocated to the aloha deck when it rained at 0200.

We 12-4s took the watch at 0800 and after a deckwash and domestics, I worked in the headrig rustbusting the stem top with Jimmy while Katie wirebrushed turnbuckles over my head. We rustbusted, corrosealed, and primed, which took most of hte day's working hours. During lunch we enjoyed a swim call off the port side to cool down. After work, we did some monomoy rowing around the harbor, and while some people did crazy tricks from a swing rope we had rigged on the fore yardarm, I took the opportunity to climb up to the royal on the mainmst for hte first time, which was great. We cleaned up the galley and I helped do dishes in the scullery and now I'll type up some of my logs so that if I do find internet tomorrow I can go put them up quickly. I have to stand night watch at 0400 and light the galley stove, which I haven't done yet. We are slated to leave on Thursday at 1400.

1 comment:

  1. Your damn right you set up your hammock. let me know how it works between palm trees over sand. ;-)

    -Matt

    ReplyDelete