26 May 2010

Wednesday 19 May 2010

Picton Castle at sea; Wednesday 19 May 2010 בס"ד

After our watch muster, all of the 12-4 trainees went to the quarterdeck and stood at attention in lines. This was Georgie's plan for the past 24 hours and Rebecca, Logan, and Meredith thought it was funny, although to be honest I'm not sure why Georgie thought we should do this? Anyway, I told Nadia and Niko the Hideout SMP story, then we loosed and set the foretopmst staysl. The maintopmst staysl was already set. I stood third helm and steered SxW, and it was unusually easy, requiring only a half turn at most every so often to correct. After, I told Yo the story and we made hot water and coffee for the next watch.

Day watch, with the exception of my second lookout, consisted of more work on the backstay booties. On lookout I saw nothing but seaweed (which I remember from Planet Earth grows abundantly in the Saragossa Sea) and a few flying fish. After watch I tried evening out the brutal beater tan I've got, and I took a shower. Around dinner time, the seas got a little lumpy and seem to be worsening, but I doubt it will e as bad as the gale seas. Jo and I did a light workout today. I was reading a bit of my Small Boat Seamanship Manual as well. We're still under power, but have the maintopmst staysl, foretopmst staysl, and inner jib set. We're riding pretty close to the wind but as we make south the trades should start coming from the east more and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment