26 May 2010

Wednesday 12 May 2010

Picton Castle at Sea; Wednesday 12 May 2010 בס"ד

My night watch wasn't very eventful, but I guess night watches usually aren't. It was very cold so I layered up a bit. I helped Yo clean the galley shelves and we learned how to make hot water and coffee for night watches. I took the helm and steered a SW course for thirty minutes, and I also stood a thirty minute lookout. On my lookout, Nadia told me when I relieved her that there was a 900ft Danish ship off the port bow and I could see it's port light, meaning we were going in somewhat opposite directions. Walking on deck in the dark with somewhat lumpy seas was quite tricky, even with the red nightvision lights on under the pinrails.

This morning I heard people telling me it was breakfast time, but apparently I was dead to the world and slept through it. I woke up for 11:30 lunch then stood my watch. I went aloft a few times; first to move buntline blocks around the jackstays and relash them, then I went to stand lookout, then I returned aloft to the fore upper topsl yard to continue. After that I took the helm and steered a SSW course. Later, Meredith and I went to the chain locker to fit in the hawsers until watch ended. Before we were stood down, we got the order to up and stow, so we did. Shortly after the start of the 4-8, we noticed the ship had stopped moving and everybody speculated on why. It was quite calm and during this time we saw plenty of dolphins all around. Before dinner Mate Mike explained that we were letting a low pressure system pass in front of us so we could ride its tail NE wind down. Also, we're about 250nm off Cape Cod or so. Either this 8-12 watch or my watch will be setting sails during our night watches.


No comments:

Post a Comment