26 May 2010

Saturday 22 May 2010

Picton Castle at sea; Saturday 22 may 2010 בס"ד

Night watch (or morning watch as I'd like to call it) began with still lumpy seas but otherwise nice warm clear weather. After I drank my coffee, I went up to the quarterdeck and had a comical slip where I slid athwartships about 6ft. I was not assigned a lookout or helm, so I only had to do final shipcheck. I cleaned the galley with Yo and Michael, then hung out on quarterdeck telling stories until I went to help make hot water and coffee, then did my final shipcheck. An uneventful night.

The day watch was quite squally. We sailed through two separate squalls, though they weren't all that bad. We set and took in the outer jib during our watch. I stood second helm, and it was pretty easy steering SW except for a squall which could swing the ship as much as a whole point in a few seconds. At the turn of the watch we braced sharper, then after I spent many hours translating nauticalese English into Spanish and Portuguese. Oh, I almost forgot... Monday AM we're putting in to Anguila for a few days to dodge an unusual low in the Caribbean. That should be neat.

No comments:

Post a Comment