31 May 2010

Sunday 30 May 2010 (Part 1)

Picton Castle at sea; Sunday 30 May 2010 בס"ד

Woke up from sleeping on the hatch. Morning watch had lovely weather and glass-smooth seas, though no change in the headwinds. I was assigned to final shipcheck, so I made sure to keep myself busy until 0340. First, we split into gropus again for people who didn't get to go aloft and people who wanted to go aloft again and also a terminology review group. I opted to go aloft, and this time I went to the fore royal on my own and hung out there with Michael for a bit, talking about how surreal it is to be on a royal on a tall ship in the Caribbean. We laid down on deck, and I, Michael, Jimmy, and Adrienne cleaned the galley. I hung out on the quarterdeck, helped Meredith take up slack on the port boat gripes for the monomoy, began to read “The Set of the Sails” by Alan Villiers, and then made hot water and coffee with Katie before doing my shipcheck. Katie and I reauchambeauxed for who had to watch the boiling water kettle when the order came to set the inner and outer jibs. She won, so I stayed in the galleyhouse. Soon afterwards, watch was relieved. I'm going to sleep in my bunk now since there will probably be lots of commotion in a few hours when we get a pilot to take us in to Bonaire.

No comments:

Post a Comment