02 May 2010

Sunday 2 May 2010

Picton Castle at Lunenburg; Sunday 2 May 2010 בס"ד

Yet another double-entry... Yesterday began with a drive to a hardware store outside of Lunenburg with a shipwright named Dave ____?____ to pick up a sheet of wood for use aft. I saw Bob out and talking with other tourists. When I returned, we were setting sails to dry, so I unfurled the foresl and I saw Bob taking photos. The day was mostly spent doing sail-handling drills, and also a fire drill and we learned about the safety nets and have weather gear. Karla came out too and saw me furl the main upper topsl. At lunch we got a beer collection going and I went with Niko and Davey to the liquor store for the final errand in the truck. The wedding of Nikki and Buddy was scheduled at 1400, and it was a marlinspike attire event (meaning wacky attire). My outfit was a Buffalo Bill flannel shirt and my sou'wester hat. The ceremony was officiated on the quarterdeck by Captain Moreland and the Mayor of Lunenburg, who apparently is also a Christian minister of some variety. Quite nice and appropriately serious despite the atmosphere. Immediately afterwards there was a marlinspike reception on deck, and I with the rest of the bros had some beers and a celebratory cigar. Then we stealthily snuck off and decorated the newlyweds' van with cans on strings and filled it with balloons. We snook back, and I brought Karla and Bob aboard and introduced them to most of the crew. We then moved to the Banker with the rest of the party and had more drinks. Then I treated Karla, Bob, and Tammy to dinner, which merged in with Saturday night Trivia. Our team was the "Cawfeez" and we came in first place. Tammy and I then went to the Dory Shop party, which was roaring. I got quite drunk, danced a lot, and eventually made it back to the PC and passed out.

I woke up today at about 0730 and met Karla and Bob at their "Picton Castle" suite at 0800. We hung out til about 1000 when I saw them off. I guess I won't see them until July 2011, which is a strange idea, but c'est la vie. Since today was Lag BaOmer, I shaved off my beard and everybody said I look like I'm about 10 years old now. I had lunch at Subway with Nadia, Jimmy, Georgie, and Davey, because the volunteer cooks today made fish and Nadia is deathly allergic. I sewed up a big hole in my long johns, made a lanyard for my pocketknife, upgraded my computer to Ubuntu 10.04, and just cleaned my rack. Head to the Banker now after sharing Mrs. Bulman's cookies with everybody at dinner. Tomorrow I turn 24 years old; who knows what will happen?

No comments:

Post a Comment