26 May 2010

Thursday 20 May 2010

Picton Castle at sea; Thursday 20 May 2010 בס"ד

Night watch was like usual. I was again put on third helm (not sure if on purpose or just coincidence?), so the first hour I hung about midships, second hour cleaned the galley stove, stood helm steering SxW, then made hot water and coffee and did aft wakeups. We had a brief quarterdeck muster to discuss abandon ship plans and address any questions. Now I'm going straight to bed because today I'm on galley duty, so I'll have an 0800 wakeup (since I'm 12-4; the other two people get 0615 wakeups). On galley with me are Lauren and Jo. This is the first time I'm on galley since we left, and my third time overall.

My wakeup for galley was delayed about 15 minutes, because we set sail at the turn of the 4-8 and 8-12. Took me about two cups of coffee but then I was awake enough to start my day. On galley crew, you spend most time washing dishes, although we did clean the scullery shelves and change ice packs from teh coolers before lunch. After liunch cleanup, Jo and I worked out a bit and then I did some math study with Joanie and after I read some Master & Commander. Dinner came out and right after I heard the 4-8s taking in the royals as we saw a squall off the port beam. Within minutes the engine was roaring but only for about an hour or less to get us south of the weather, then back to sailing. Donald treated Jo, Lauren, and I to some wine, which was a nice and unexpected surprise. At the end of galley duty a sloop was spotted off starboard making a northerly course. After galley duty, a few of us were chatting on the aloha deck when we heard a smack on deck right next to us... a flying fish had flown aboard and came to an abrupt halt. For the most part, my calluses are still intact despite constant soaking with soap and bleach water, and I'm getting better at figuring out what Donald is saying when he's giving orders in his thick Granadan accent. I was particularly proud when he told me, "Boy, fetch me twegs." and I correctly came back with two eggs. I did slip twice today due to lumpy seas and gave my right foot a good thwack on the aft bulwark stay, but walking bow-legged like Popeye seems to do the trick. I won't be standing nightwatch this morning, so I'll get a very good sleep in now.

No comments:

Post a Comment