26 May 2010

Tuesday 18 May 2010

Picton Castle at sea; Tuesday 18 May 2010 בס"ד

The weather for nightwatch was nice, but quite humid. Overhead the sky was for the most part clear, but you couldn't see the horizon up to 10° on account of the haze. Rebecca wanted everybody to e able to name all of the running rigging and able to box the compass by at least whole points, so we partnered up and studied. Nadia and I helped each other, as she was stronger with the rigging and I the compass, although both of us know them very well now. I had a nice conversations with Rebecca about the stars and constellations, and also about my building back in PA and how I think I'd like to do this professionally. The pro crew obviously will teach everybody how to sail on the PC but for those interested in a maritime career they'll probably go into further detail and make sure the traine gets the most out of the instruction. I had third helm, steering SxW, and although we're under power and the sea state is relatively calm, I feel that I'm greatly improving my skill at the helm. The air was so humid that the quarterdeck PFDs water-activated light beacons turned on, so Meredith and I freshwater rinsed them and put them in the charthouse to dry. Otherwise, I just studied the night sky, and saw Jupiter rising off the port beam. Soon enough I'll be looking at a new night sky and have to learn all over again.

The day shift started with more work stitching up the turnbuckle booties. Yo and I worked on them for an hour when we both had to relieve people (she the helm and I the lookout). I saw only several Portuguese men-of-war float by on the very calm surface as we motored past. I did get a little red but not what I'd call a burn. After lookout, Nicksa asked me to put some primer on a turnbuckle eye, shackle, and thimble on the headrig. Finally, Mitch and I finished off a long line of baggy wrinkle, and I trimmed it down with the mallet and hatchet. After watch, I read on the focslehead for a bit and observed a crescent moon overhead, which excited me since I haven't seen the moon in a while. I went below when it looked like a weather system might be approaching and accidentally fell asleep. Luckily Shawn woke me up towards the end of dinner and I didn't miss it. After dinner we had a good laugh when I failed miserably at solving a riddle (“my grandmother is dead, is she dead?”), then I did some working out with Jo and then Paula and Alex. Tonight began Shavuot, but since I can't have a bonfire, I guess I'll just chill.

NOTES: We are south of Bermuda; we braced on a port tack to reduce windage.


No comments:

Post a Comment