09 May 2010

Saturday 8 May 2010

Picton Castle at Lunenburg; Saturday 8 May 2010 בס"ד

Double-entry due to tiredness, not drinking. Friday was a good day and a bad day. It was good because it was my turn to have the afternoon off, so I worked getting stuff in the sole and into the hold and at the warehouse again, then after lunch I was free. However, at lunch muster, Mate Mike explained to us about the conflicting low pressure systems around us and that our new departure date is Monday 10 May at 0900. That's the bad news, which isn't really that bad but we were all a bit disappointed to say the least. After lunch, I went to the Yacht Shop and the Bluenose II shop (both of which are usually closed when I'm off) and picked up some things. I also mailed some postcards, picked up my laundry, printed some pictures for my rack, and went to the Banker for internet where I Skyped with Corrinn.

Today was cold and rainy for the most part. 12-4 had the watch again, but all hands worked a full day. I was put on mousing detail, which is lashing the pins into the shackles with metal wire. I did that for a while on deck and aloft and alongside in the rescue boat. My hands took quite a beating, but it's good to let some blood every now and then, right? I almost went up to the tgallant yard, but I only made it to the crosstrees (which is still pretty high up there) before I came back down. Next time... While I was mousing, others were lashing everything for sea. The work day ended at around 1630 and at 1730 the captain had a muster in the salon to explain how our voyage will start and we learned a lot about the winds. Today was Davey's birthday and Juliemom made cake which was awesome. I stood my hourly watch at 2000 (nice and early!) and performed a ship check, slacked lines which tightened in the rain, and worked out on the newly-lashed pullup bar. Just worked on hemming my foulie jacket and hung out in the salon with some people. Tomorrow should be almost no work since we're mostly ready to leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment