05 January 2011

Friday 19 November 2010

Picton Castle at sea; Friday 19 November 2010 בס"ד

In the morning, I precomputed the stars, and came to a weird realization. I asked Bracken how to reconcile the fact that if I look up twilight->AP->arc-to-time->new twilight->new AP->new arc-to-time, etc etc, I would end up perpetually redetermining everything, much like dividing something in half perpetually. Bracken told me that we don't move fast enough to really need to account for that, and also that it is never going to be perfect because you're using estimates to figure out the general spot where you should be looking for a star. Of course the results change every second that passes, and so the accuracy must be in the recording of sights with the sextant and the chronometer; not in the precomputation, but in the post-computation, if that makes sense? Yes, it does. Stood second lookout, and had nothing to report. As the others were getting there star sights in, Bracken and I took in all sail on our own, not that we had much sail set. At dawn, I woke Siri (as per her request) to let her know we were going to scrub the mizzen, something she and I enjoyed last time we had to do it. We went aloft and scrubbed it with special rags from the engineer, and pretty much everybody joined in and got filthy covered in soot. We did a soapy deckwash after, rigged up the awning, soogied down, mopped and towel-dried the quarterdeck, then helped the sailmakers get their canvas ready before watch below. After breakfast, I did some log typing and photo uploading, and helped hold up the sole board behind me as Siri got rigging supplies. There were dolphins playing around, so I got a video of Lorraine enjoying them on the focslehead before lunch. Back below, Joani gave out scraps of canvas and duck, and I gave my external drive to Liam so he could swipe all the photos I've swiped from everybody else. Then I buzzed off my moustache, as I was tired of it. Helped rig up power shower and took it too. We had a Bali discussion amidships since we're fast approaching. We then set fore-and-aft sails before I precomputed evening twilight stars with Dapper. Then we took in and I stowed the mizzen staysl before dinner. Galley clean and bucket wipedown, then fourth helm, with an awesome sunset, not that I care much for sunsets, but the sun was huge in a way you don't get back in the Poconos. Shabbat Shalom. At muster, we were officially told that tomorrow morning the new system of deciding our own rotations would be in effect. Below, I hung out in the salon and studied the Able Seaman and Lifeboatman course guide book with Lauren. Did my forearm workout, then went to bed in my bunk. Shabbat Shalom.


No comments:

Post a Comment