05 January 2011

Tuesday 16 November 2010 [TIMOR SEA]

Picton Castle at sea; Tuesday 16 November 2010 בס"ד

I was on galley today, so I woke up at 0615 in our new time zone. Clark and I set up for breakfast, and Tiina joined us afterwards. After breakfast, I scraped the cutting board in the scullery because it was in need of desperate overhaul. We did our basic galley duties until lunch, and then after lunch I napped on the aloha deck. Woke up to a possible prank, or maybe just inconsideration, that every single cup was dirty and stacked nearly to the overhead, but I washed them regardless. At 1630 we had a piloting workshop part II, and we learned about how to quickly compute relative bearings and compass bearings to true bearings on a chart. Also learned a “coastwise trick,” that being that if you take the relative angle to an object on the bow and continue on course until it is doubled, the distance run is the distance off, because it creates an isoceles triangle. Had dinner, and I was asked to decorate Dapper's birthday cake, so I drew a stick figure with just red arms and a brown beard, otherwise invisible, because Dapper has serious farmers' tan. After dinner cleanup, had a forepeak mini-party for Dapper, and then I had a workout on the well deck before sleep on the hatch.


No comments:

Post a Comment