05 January 2011

Monday 22 November 2010 [BALI]

Picton Castle at anchor, Benoa, Bali, Indonesia; Monday 22 November 2010 בס"ד

The clocks were retarded to ZD-8, so we stood an extra twenty minutes of watch. There was distant lightning at muster, and we were still sailing along. At 0415 we took in royals and tgallants and so began the three hour non-stop sail-handling watch. The distant squalls were not so distant anymore, and so we ran aloft to stow the sails. I was up at the main royal stowing when the weather overtook us. I heard the call PUT THE BUNT GASKET ON IT AND LAY DOWN ON DECK NOW right before FLASH CRACK BOOM lightning that was practically right next to me, and so I got that bunt gasket on and got my ass the fuck back down on deck. The wind was blowing a good 5-6 now and it was pissing down rain real hard. I was scheduled for second helm, and each time I went to relieve Yo, another order was called HANDS TO THE FORE BRACES! TAKE IN THE MAIN TOPMAST STAYSL! Or she was told to change course, and so I couldn't take it while she was executing the change. Of course, we were motoring now, and there was a constant slacking of the gear, but it had to be done smartly since the sails weren't stowed but they were struck, and we couldn't just cast it off without letting the sail set itself. Finally I was on helm for only half an hour. We saw a pod of dolphins jumping in single file formation booking it at top speed, which was interesting. I was sent to lookout as the double, and I sighted the island Pulau Penida through a slight break in the terrible visibility. Lombok would have been visible off the starboard quarter, or maybe abaft the beam depending on our course changes, but it didn't matter because visibility was crap. Who knew if there were small fishing boats around that we wouldn't see until they were under our bow? That's why we had double lookouts. Nadja told us to pay closer attention when we missed a large ship off the port quarter, but I was starboard lookout and that was one of my blind spots. I had to get a clean dry bandana from below to wipe my glasses with, since they were constantly bombarded with rain and therefore made seeing in the terrible visibility that much harder. Another reason why I should get laser surgery: lookout in foul weather. All in all, we braced sharp on port, starboard, and port again, at least those three times and maybe I'm forgetting another. It was a crazy watch, the most action I've ever had in a single four hour watch, but it was great fun and I'm glad we didn't call up daymen or other watches to help out because we were a pretty tight group and got it done well. Of course, at our muster, the weather fizzled out and though breakfast was below, when we were done the sun was shining again. I passed out until 1130, with all hands on deck. We were coming into the very congested Bali harbor, and our first glimpes of this island were of this one town that looked like a wild ridiculous party. People were flying around on speedboats going on big airborne inflatable rafts and others were paragliding or doing little bananaboat stuff, hundreds of small craft dodging each other, some dragging waterskiers or wakeboarders, some mock tall ship restaurant-looking boat, Navy warships, fishing boats, even some wrecks sticking out of the water, etc. It was pretty disgusting that people were swimming in the water which was filled with garbage and probably the shit from all the boats' tanks, but the atmosphere seemed like a big escapist party. Anyway we dropped anchor, and then a pilot boat came over and told us we had to move to where they told us, so I was down in the chain locker teaching Taia to flake chain as we heaved up and got ready to relocate. So the ship moves to where they wanted, and we drop the hook again. Up and stow all sail, and I stowed the fore royal and main tgallant staysl super sexy harbor style. Then some fishing boat anchored swings danger close to us as we're eating lunch, and so we weigh anchor again, and this time I was in the chain locker with Brad. I don't know why I end up in the chain locker so much, as I rather prefer the workout of the windlass. We relocated to a better spot, dropped anchor, then shortly afterwards I went down in the chain locker again as we reduced our scope. New people had now come aboard, and we had our goodbye/welcome ceremony. After, we were going to lower the boat, and I was standing by in the starboard breezeway with fenders when we heard FENDERS AFT TO THE ALOHA DECK and we rushed back to see another fishing boat swinging danger close to us, and so we fended it off and even pushed it away. So, for the fourth time in about three hours, I went to the chain locker, this time with Davey, and we flaked chain as we weighed anchor. We finally moved to a spot that WE thought was good, and dropped the hook. 4-8 had the deck, and so I was sent aloft on the mizzen to wipe and clean it with oil rags and bilge cleaner. We did a decksweep, and then it was mail call! I got a package full of gifts from Jo for me and the forepeak, which included a 5lb bag of Haribo Happy Cola! That didn't last long. I also got a paper model kit of the Bounty from Vassos who mailed it to me from Australia. Had dinner, cleaned the galley, and hung out. Did a skiff run at 2100 with Nadja, and picked up Clark and Odrun (a new deckhand). Came back, and wrote my log, now bed before I have anchor watch at 0400.



No comments:

Post a Comment