05 January 2011

Tuesday 9 November 2010

Picton Castle at sea; Tuesday 9 November 2010 בס"ד

First lookout in the morning, and I could see a faint glow on the horizon from the lights of Papua New Guinea. I also observed submerged flashes of light in the water, which were maybe jellyfish or something else, I don't know for sure. We then had to take in and stow tgallants, and I went up on the fore with Yo. It was hard to see at the time, but once down to deck, I noticed that I had bird shit smeared all over my torso from leaning on the yard which some seabird had used as a toilet. Went to scraping down the focslehead, which I must say I've become excellent at, by keeping my scraper razor sharp and applying good elbow grease. Then, TAKE IN ALL SAIL and once we'd done that we began to motor again. After taking in all sail, we did deckwash, during which the deckbrush I was using snapped in half. Instead of soogieing, I was tasked with cleaning off the scum that had grown on our holystones, which was like a black, moldy, growth. After watch, I fashioned myself a new handle for my forearm fitness device from the broken deckbrush handle. I then read and finished To Kill A Mockingbird. Had lunch, and then began reading “England Made Me” by Graham Greene. I've been blowing through books lately. After a bit of reading, I made a repair list for 801 Olive of projects I'd like to do when I return. Then I read more, and shaved my face except my moustache. At 1600, at the turn of the watch, we took in royals and tgallants, and I stowed the main tgallant and flying jib. Sails have been set and struck continuously with the variable light winds which often blow from ahead. WT sent me to the hold to find a box fan, but it was already taken by Chris in the engine room. At 1630, we had a quarterdeck discussion on the Torres Straits, which we were rapidly approaching. At 1700 I steered NW xW and I was told to be EXACT in my steering. While steering, I saw large seabirds circling us and I tried to imagine what it would be like to be in a ship in WWII in these parts being strafed by Japanese warplanes. I filled the log, plotted our position, CMGT (303T), log (8kts), etc. After dinner I cleaned pots and pans and ground coffee. Slacked out lines, halyards, braces and started singing my own version of Zombie by the Cranberries. I sang, “In the head, in the heaaaaad, Poopies, Poopies, Pooooopies-pies-pies.” I felt quite clever, but then I went back to the quarterdeck and one of the Japanese bomber birds must not have liked my song and I saw it coming straight for me and then Weeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaa BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM, I was carpet-bombed by his white bird feces. People were sitting on both sides of me, and only I took not one, but four direct hits. Joani was struck by some splatter that bounced off me, but otherwise, only me and a straight line on the deck in front of me were hit. I didn't sing poopies anymore. After watch, I photographed myself covered in white splats, then took a shower, cleaned my bunk out, and read. I also gave Yo a bottle of wine and an apology letter that I still owed her for whipping her in the eye with the bitter end of a line while we were in Vanuatu. Then bed.


No comments:

Post a Comment