10 January 2011

Thursday 9 December 2010

Picton Castle at sea; Thursday 9 December 2010 בס"ד

Woke up in the night when lower topsls were set. I could feel the change in the wind. Back to sleep until 0530, when Shawn and Liam gave me my courtesy wakeup (I request early wakeups if possible) and a heads up that we'll be loosing all sail shortly. Got my harness on, and at 0615, loosed all sail. I got the main tgallant. Then set all sail. Finished trimming at 0655, now writing in log before breakfast. Jobs today included:

  • scuff the faintail grating benches and apply a coat and a hotcoat of varnish

  • give another coat of white to the fantail

  • paint Captain's mess airport stone

  • spot paint forward bulkhead white

  • paint forward chocks and port cathead black

  • de-gunkify putty knife covered in roofing cement

  • paint more of port waterway on quarterdeck

  • begin to organize paint locker

  • wirebrush and corroseal/aluminum prime the airport forward of the engineer's ladder

  • clean the soot off the quarterdeck

  • clean the Monomoy

  • clean the navigational and communications equipment atop monkey island and the stack

  • clean behind the aloha deck veggie lockers

I personally saw to the putty knife, and I taught Astrid some things while we cleaned behind the veggie lockers and the nav/com equipment. Throughout the day, it was cool and windy, but drizzle squall stopped us a few times because of the varnish job. Luckily, they passed quickly. The only real rain squall was at 1615, when we started packing up. Finished at 1645, and hydrated for an entire hour before dinner. Niko's bday, then I practiced knots near the head because I had terrible gut and I didn't want to be far. Cool enough for the forepeak tonight, and caught some Da Ali G Show before bed.


No comments:

Post a Comment