10 January 2011

Sunday 19 December 2010

Picton Castle at sea; Sunday 19 December 2010 בס"ד

Clocks were retarded to ZD-6 in the night, so I got an extra hour of sleep, even though I still requested my 0500 wakeup as per usual. I woke up at 0600, and plugged in my laptop to charge up so I could type logs through the day. Read some Last Grain Race waiting for breakfast. Clark, Vicky, and Josh were on galley today, and for breakfast they did Cafe Chibley #2, opening the galley at 0730 until 1000 for short order breakfast items. It was a great success, and I ordered fried egg, baked beans, hash brown, and waffles. Later, Clark called me up to have some blueberry breakfast cake, which was the best I'd ever had. Read a bit more, then once my computer was done charging, I got to typing up my logs. I started on 5 November (that's how far behind I am). Did that til 1100, and let my laptop charge one more hour while the generator was still going. Helped the galley team with small errands, like getting a block of frozen cheese from the hold, etc. Lunch was extra-big grilled cheese and onion sandwiches, which were great. Typed until 1430, read a half hour, where I finished the Last Grain Race, and so then I took a nap from 1500 to 1600. At 1600, there was a marlinspike with terrible Xmas music. At first, I remained with some bros in the forepeak listening to Nirvana, then played Bananagrams in the salon with Jan and Adrienne (whose birthday it was) and Astrid. Hung out on the aloha deck, then got my Georgie pants (soft white pants Spratt gave to Georgie who gave them to me) and hung out on the well deck. Dinner was served amidships on the hatch, and it was super cheesy lasagna. I had the veg option, which was spinach instead of beef (no mixing meat + dairy) and it was incredible, although my lactose intolerance was already past its threshold with lunch and I made for a stinky companion. Birthday cake for Adrienne, then after helping clean up, I began to read “Sea of Glory” by Nathaniel Philbrick, the story of the United States Exploratory Expedition, aka the US Ex-Ex. Did a well deck workout with Nadja and Susie after 2000, which included the 6-minute 6 pack like old times. Then chilled on the line locker enjoying the sight of our barque sailing in the moonlight. Then went to bed.


No comments:

Post a Comment