26 August 2010

Friday 13 August 2010

Picton Castle at sea; Friday 13 August 2010 בס"ד

This morning I awoke at 0600 when the generator came on, and took advantage of this to plug in my computer to charge. Then, instead of returning to bed, I brushed my teeth, took a shower, and read more of TCOMC. When my work hours began at 0800, Jan and I went to work repairing the broken Monomoy gaff. First, we had to take some 2x4s and make clamps for the spar, and I learned how to use a curved chisel to knock out the rounded parts. Then we made some epoxy and bonded the two pieces and clamped it to the port catwalk. Then we began work on the propane tank rack, which took us the rest of the day. Today we had a very significant hell on this starboard tack, and that made work interesting. Several times we had squally bits, and during a strong one we went into the hold and organized the wood pile. At lunch, I came up with a design for a juice/water jug holder that would mount against the stanchions in the breezeways, as right now they're lashed to the lumber in the starboard breezeway which won't always be there. Anyway, I learned lots of stuff today which outwardly seems quite simple but I probably would never have thought of. When I finished the propane tank rack, Jan fixed the small office item, which was like a letter holder thingy. Read more TCOMC before and after dinner. Cleaned up some water that crashed over the well deck in through the salon skylight hatches. Now I'm going to type up that Captain's Log for Maggie.

No comments:

Post a Comment