24 August 2010

Tuesday 20 July 2010

Picton Castle at sea; Tuesday 20 July 2010 בס"ד

Stood first lookout this morning, with nothing to report, and then hung out upon the quarterdeck until sunrise. Prior to sunrise, we had a lesson on precomputing star sights for celestial nav. At sunrise, did a soogie down while others did deckwash, and also did salon wakeups. Our watch is getting a bad rep for screwing up wakeups, but we determined that we wake up 24 people everyday not including galley and courtesy wakeups. Now we have several of us on wakeup duty, and I woke the salon, making sure to sign and timestamp a sheet we made as a joke by Tiina's bunk. Hoisted the royals up, and thus ended the watch. After breakfast, I converted inches and feet into decimal values because often Jan will tell me something is 0.87 feet or 3.42 inches, etc, and I should know wtf that is. After lunch (PB&J&C), I read White Jacket and put another coat of 60-40 on my ditty bag bottom. Afternoon watch had me on first helm for fifteen minutes before we had a workshop on block and tackle use and overhauling. 1730 dinner had fish that had gone partially bad, unfortunately, and when cleaning galley I went to the hold to replace coffee beans, when I discovered broken eggs that had bred maggots, so we cleaned that up. We took in the gaff topsl and flying jib, and I stowed. After watch, a bro-executive meeting in the forepeak, since Shawn was galley. Then did ab workout on the hatch with Meredith and Bob. Tomorrow would be Dad's 50th birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment