26 August 2010

Saturday 14 August 2010

Picton Castle at sea; Saturday 14 August 2010 בס"ד

Last night I tried getting started on the Captain's Log, but had difficulty, so Jo helped me and actually wrote a lot of it. This morning, Jan and I spent our time in the workspace cleaning tools with steel wool and then oiling and reassembling them. Nothing too exciting, but this is the extent of our Saturday morning duties, and after lunch we were finished. I read TCOMC for a while, when I was surprised with a most thoughtful and meaningful gift: a handmade carpenter's pouch with “FRED” stitched in. This was from Jo, who treats me far more nicely than I deserve. I began work on a gift for her, with the aid of Jan, which is going to be a model smallboat. The hull is made from my Mangareva stinkwood (it started to smell up my seachest so I lashed the logs in my bunk to dry and air out). I split the one log, chiseled and spokeshaved out the curvature of the deck, sawed out the corners and rasped down the edges of the bow and stern. I did this until dinner, then resumed reading TCOMC. At 2030, David Brown and I went to the “no pants” party in the Batcave: he in a sarong, and I in my underpants with my pouch on. We stayed a while, but it was very crowded and hot and so we left. Came back to my bunk, read more, and bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment