24 August 2010

Friday 16 July 2010

Picton Castle at sea; Friday 16 July 2010 בס"ד

Yesterday morning watch I stood second helm. Did the usual routine for watch, and I almost went up to scrub the mizzenmst again, but then we did sail handling. After breakfast, I did laundry and finished my ditty bag becket, so then I cut the bottom circle out of some pine and rasped and sanded it right and worked on the design I wanted to make, which is the ship image from the business card. Then I helped laminate the two planks I had planed together with Jan and Paul. On evening watch I stood second helm and washed plastics. Oh, earlier in the day we simultaneously caught three massive wahoos.


This morning I was second lookout and wakeups. We did a bit of sail handling throughout. Also did some holystoning, which we haven't done in a while, but it was tricky to do because the deck was frequently awash and the sand would be swept away. After breakfast, we rigged up and set stunsls on the port fore yards. I worked on my ditty bag bottom piece more, and began to coat it in 60-40 penetrol varnish mix. Did a very small amount of planing with Paul, Jan, and Alex, then after lunch took a hatch nap. Woke up, read some White Jacket, and then at 1615 when watch began we had a lecture and training in setting and taking in the stunsls. Cleaned galley after dinner, did wakeups (which I messed up), and put a gasket on the mizzen topmst staysl. Today Liam and AB Meredith asked me to be part of Pitcairn performances, which apparently is our boarding costs at the island. Shabbat Shalom.

No comments:

Post a Comment